Since ancient times, traditional Chinese medicine had already recognized the medicinal properties of oyster mushrooms and other fungi.
Health Benefits of Blue Oyster Mushroom
The most common benefits of eating oyster mushrooms can be found in the following list:
Supports Immune System
- Oyster mushrooms, which are high in beta-glucans, are one of the best foods for boosting your immune system and preventing both short-term and long-term illnesses.
- Instead of stimulating or suppressing the immune system as some foods do, mushrooms maintain a healthy equilibrium.
- Oyster mushrooms also contain a plethora of antioxidants that help protect your immune system from oxidative stress and free radical damage.
Lower Down Blood Pressure
- Vitamin D, for example, helps your body maintain a healthy blood pressure level.
- People living in colder climates have lower levels of vitamin D than those who don’t.
- Having blue oyster mushrooms can help a lot in reducing blood pressure.
Regulates Cholesterol Levels
- Mushrooms, like oysters, are an excellent meat substitute because of their savory flavor and lack of cholesterol.
- Oyster mushrooms have also been shown to lower triglyceride levels in diabetic patients.
Builds Strong Bones
- Oyster mushrooms are a rich source of calcium and phosphorus, both of which are essential for strong bones, Vitamin D & magnesium in particular.
- While calcium is the most commonly discussed mineral, your body also requires vitamin D & magnesium in order to properly process and store calcium in the bones.
Includes Anti-inflammatory Properties
- Oyster mushrooms are an excellent anti-inflammatory food because of the beta-glucans & antioxidants they contain.
- In addition to beta-glucans, some research suggests that the oyster’s anti-inflammatory properties may be due to ergothioneine, an unusual and little-studied amino acid.
- Ergothioneine has been shown in studies to reduce “systemic” inflammation, a factor in diseases like dementia & diabetes.
- It also has anti-cancer properties and protects the heart against heart diseases.