Snake gourd or Chichinda or Serpent Goud is similar to cucumber and squash. This is because all belong to the Cucurbitaceae gourd family. This vegetable is mostly found in Southeast Asia & the South including countries like Nepal, Indonesia, China, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. The nutritional profile of snake gourd includes Carbohydrates, vitamins A, B & C, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Magnesium Soluble Fibre, Manganese, and various other minerals.
Snake Gourd promotes numerous health benefits and it is especially good in the treatment of diabetes & urinary issues. It is low in calories, thereby helping in controlling blood pressure levels in the body.
Advantages of Snake Gourd
Adding snake gourd into the diet offer various health benefits. Let’s talk about them:
1. Snake Gourd drops the impacts of diabetes.
2. It improves heart health and heart-related problems.
3. Most people used snake gourd to prevent dandruff.
4. It strengthens teeth and bone, and also cures scalp disorders.
5. It can be used to treat jaundice, malaria fever, and nauseous fever.
6. Snake gourd helps treat constipation issues.
Side Effects & Disadvantages of Snake Gourd
After benefits, there are various side-effects of Snake Gourd. Let’s take a look:
1. Overdose of Snake Gourd may cause stomach-related issues like stomach pain, upset stomach, and other minor issues.
2. Excessive consumption of snake gourds by pregnant women causes damage to the fetus. Hence, it should consume in a minimal quantity.
3. Consumption of gourd in enough amounts is good for health.
4. People having health disorders should consult the doctor before intake snake gourd.
5. Excessive intake of seeds causes abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, gastric soreness, and stomach-related issues.
6. Many people are allergic to the Cucurbitaceae family including citronellas, gourdes, squashes & gourds. Such people should avoid eating these vegetables.
Frequently Ask Questions (FAQS)
Is Snake Gourd Poisonous?
Snake Gourd contains lots of vitamins and minerals but excess eating of this vegetable can be poisonous and harmful to your health.